Patient and Family Engagement
Per CMS Guidance, due to COVID19 Pandemic crisis all patient engagement and advocacy activities such as peer mentoring, attending support groups and participating in QAPI and Plan of Care meetings, should be done so virtually, over the telephone, online or thru another distant, non-person to person format to limit patient exposure risk. This month we’d like to highlight some resources that can help with your patient engagement efforts related to patient groups/peer support. Many national level advocacy groups are providing webinars and the Renal Support Network (RSN) has initiated a new virtual support group, website links and information on RSN’s Monthly Support group is listed below.
- Online and National Peer Support resources is a listing of national peer to peer hotlines and Facebook groups.
- Multiple Ways to Connect with Others During COVID-19 provides information on different technology platforms to help connect with others in a social-distancing environment.
- Tips for Connecting Remotely guide to learn how to use video calling during isolation and beyond.
Patient Advocacy Organizations:
- American Association of Kidney Patients
- American Kidney Fund
- American Transplant Foundation
- Dialysis Patient Citizens Education Center
- Home Dialyzors United
- National Kidney Foundation
- Renal Support Network
RSN Online Support Group – RSN Zoom Room Meetings
RSN’s Monthly Support Group – Finding support beyond that offered by family and friends can help you cope with the life changes of kidney disease. Support groups have shown to reduce loneliness, provide a sense of empowerment, improve coping skills, reduce anxiety, help develop a clearer understanding of what to expect and provide hope for the future. People who attend RSN’s support group share their experiences, strength and strategies to live a hopeful and joyful life. Join us!
- Fourth Sunday of every month, 2:30pm – 4:30pm PT
- Second Tuesday of every month, 2:00pm – 3:30pm PT